Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Pasta with Roasted Vegetables

Featured in Foodgawker.com on 16th Oct 2012
Featured in Tastespotting.com on 21st Oct 2012


No matter how good my refrigerator is, I can’t store things forever. Especially fruits and vegetables. I don’t have the luxury of taking a lovely evening stroll to source my produce everyday, like the friendly aunty who lives across the street from me. I go to a hypermarket close by and bundle everything I can into the car and lug it home once a week. I know the hypermarket claims the produce is super fresh and challenges anyone to claim otherwise. But everyone knows that even the supposedly ‘fresh’ produce in supermarkets is already stashed in cold storage for weeks to help transport it intact. Now is this a rant on the troubles of city living or the hypocrisy of large corporations? No.

I just have a rule that once I buy something perishable from the market, I need to finish it within a week. In a perfect world, I would have planned the menu for the week in advance. I would have used up everything judiciously by the end of the week. I would have variety everyday and would eat healthy and balanced meals. Unfortunately we live in the real world. Sometimes we work late, sometimes we run out of gas, sometimes we go out for dinner and sometimes we just want to order in greasy Chinese. Towards the end of the week, when I open the fridge to grab some chocolate – the veggies are staring back at me. The guilt meter points to high. That’s when genius strikes and I rustle up something that can accommodate the weeks shopping list. Fortunately this time, they all lent themselves to a nice Roasted Vegetable sauce served with Pasta. Hallelujah! Because it looked and tasted so amazing, the co-resident thought I planned this, weeks in advance J


Pasta with Roasted Vegetables

Prep time: 10 mins
Grilling time: 30 mins
Cooking time: 10 mins
Serves: 4

What you need:

2 Onions, cut into wedges
2 Zucchini, sliced
1 Red Bell Pepper, seeded and cut into large strips
1 Yellow Bell Pepper, seeded and cut into large strips
5 large Garlic cloves
1 ½ cup Tomato sauce (I used ready Pasta sauce – recipe here)
4 Tbsp Olive Oil
½ cup Black Olives, pitted
350 gms Pasta (Penne, Macaroni, Fuseli)
Salt and Black Pepper to taste
Freshly grated Parmesan Cheese to serve



What to do:

Preheat the oven/grill to 240°C. Spread out the onions, zucchini, Peppers and garlic in a single layer on a roasting pan. Drizzle with 2 tbsp of olive oil and season with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Stir well until all the vegetables are coated. Roast in the pre heated oven for 15 mins. Remove and stir well. Return to the oven for an additional 15 mins. Set aside.

Meanwhile bring a large pot of salted water to the boil and cook the pasta according to the instructions on the packet. I like it a little softer than al dente, so I aim for 15 mins. Drain and keep aside. Reserve 2 Tbsp of the liquid.

In a large saucepan, bring the tomato sauce to a boil, toss in the roasted vegetables and turn off the stove. Now mix well and then add the olives. You can use the reserved liquid here to get the desired consistency. Check seasoning. Now toss in the pasta and serve hot. Grate fresh parmesan cheese over the top to make it yummier.



Here's what was featured in Foodgawker.com


and Tastespotting.com

3 comments:

Gayathri Ramdas Sreekanth said...

that looks wow ! I only wish that I be so organised as you in terms of menu planning and using up my veggies.

shweta said...

that looks yum swap...and yay for being featured in a magazine...again...;)

Lubna Karim said...

An yum way to clean up the pantry....recipe sounds easy....

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...